Friday, May 18, 2007

QUIET RETREAT

As we pulled into the driveway at this Amish home, we passed this elderly Amish lady. She was walking like nobody's business. I waved and she waved back. I couldn't help but wonder what her day had been like so far, and what she had to do when she returned home. The lady that we visited that day was busy washing clothes when we pulled in. The front of her dress was wet to her shoes. She dried her hands on her plain but handy apron. As many of you know by now, if you've visited here very often. You know that my heart longs for the quiet and tranquil life of the Amish. The gentle, safe haven and gentleness that my heart absorbs hungrily while I'm in their presence, is a pleasant treasure that is savored. I am happy for my little get-away cabin, when feeling overwhelmed it is the perfect place to come home to. I think I'll go there now, to my quiet retreat.

5 comments:

Tammy said...

"quiet and tranquil life of the Amish"
I used to feel the same way...till I read a book about them and see how hard the women have to work...give me the quiet and tranquil without all the work...teehee!!
:)

Mary L. Briggs said...

Nice post. Enjoy your 'cabin time' and relax!

Susan said...

Mikki - Have you ever read "The Christian's Secret To A Happy Life" by Hannah Whitall Smith. She was Amish and it was first printed in 1870. It was the first book I read upon being saved in 1956. I have read it MANY times and given it to a lot of people.
Susan

Candy Duell said...

I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your blog. I love the quiet and tranquil, and your wonderful cabin.

Mrs. Cherry Heart said...

I was always fasinated with the amish lifestyle as well!

Hubby and I moved to amish country 3 years ago!
I know it oh so well...as my best friend is amish.
Actually most of our friends are amish!
I truely admire their lifestyles and beliefs!

But I don't think I would want to walk in their shoes!

Blessings, Dolly~From my CHERRY heart