Wednesday, January 6, 2010

PURE IN HEART


I was looking at my favorite teacup today. It's my special cup I use when I'm having a quiet time, with a nice warm cup of herbal tea. It's very precious to me. The chipped and cracked teacup may look hideous, but to me it's priceless. You see, I have my grandmother's old sugar bowl, and while on a trip to KY. I found this worn teacup, that matched grandma's sugar bowl perfectly, with the same identical pattern. To me, I'd found a treasure, while everyone else passed it on by, because it was chipped, cracked and stained. If company came over and I was to serve them with the best china in the house, they would be served with this cup. I'm sure the person would think they were being treated terribly, being served with such a thing. And I'm sure they would think me to be a rude and ill-mannered person. I think sometimes we are offended by clumsy gestures of courtesy. Sometimes we judge someone by how they look on the outside, knowing full well that God sees the heart and it's intent. How many blessings have we scoffed at, or refused because we have such good "I-sight"? Matthew 5:8 says "Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God. Psalm 24:3-4 Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? Or who shall stand in his holy place? 4) He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully. Who are we to decide if God's blessings appear acceptable? Who are we to decide what package they will come wrapped in? Let's borrow a Psalm, a prayer of cleansing. Psalm 51:9-11 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy Holy Spirit from me. Lord, teach us to accept thy blessings with a pure heart.

No comments: